Thursday, January 7, 2010

'Orient'ation and a deeep sleep

I can't take credit for the wittiness of the title of this post, but Im going to use it anyways.

I rushed up to my room on Jan 4th in the Amarin Mansion (no you westerners... Im not staying with a bunch of rich people in their 'mansion'). Was in a really big rush to be at the orientation on time, but in more of a rush to send a note to the family (youre welcome), take a shower!, and skype you know who. Everyone was relieved I got here safe and sound, and I appreciated all the prayers and support from those of you back home!


Ran downstairs about 9:00 or so, and they called me a taxi. The cutest woman behind the desk gave me a GRANNY SMITH APPLE. Just for the roomies at 412, I washed the apple (but it was a wonderful taste from home)! Taxi dropped me off at the gate of Thammasat University, but the guards dont speak english. Another quote I cant take credit for (you see, I happen to be really close to this boy who is almost as witty as he is handsome) "All people in Thailand speak English, like all people in America speak Spanish." Yes, I have had some issues with being lost in translation. But anyways, I keep saying 'Economics' and follow all the hand motions until I arrive at the 'Faculty of Economics' B.E. International Program's building. Once in the room, Pipe (my coordinator) already knows my name. 'Jennifer!'

We hear a speech from the Dean of Economics, a teacher, another teacher, a guy who is clueless about course registration, and Pipe. We are given a short introduction to the ten exchange students in the BE program and then left to chat it up for a while. This is an excellent time to make a note: Thai people dont view time the same way Americans do. Time isnt money over here. Often times we are supposed to start at nine, and instead we start at 910, or 925 (or 945!) And no one cares! It has taken some adjusting, but I am starting to enjoy the 15 minute breaks in meetings or class to go down to the street and buy some food, or a drink, or just walk around. And another note... sometimes I think I will use the restroom in that 15 minute gap (seems doable, right?) Wrong. First restroom... no toilet paper. Only the spray nozzle (that the person before me has apparently used to hose off the ground, and the stall, and definitely the seat). Second restroom... no toilet paper. Not even paper towels to dry your hands with! I can go to four or five bathrooms before finding toilet paper. And by that time... class has resumed. No problem, time isnt money!


Alright, Im off my soap box and back on track. (Please dont worry about me, Ive starting carrying around a small bit of toilet paper, just for those special occasions). Its time for a coffee break, Ive been looking forward to coffee in Thailand ever since I saw the schedule for the orientation. And its a bust. I think there is hot water, some black chocolate chip looking things, and two powders (neither of which resemble sugar or cream). So I skip the coffee, grab a water (after all, Im going to need to stay hydrated in 85 degree weather) and a pineapple pie. Yes, you heard it correctly, A PINEAPPLE PIE! from McDonalds. My other option was a corn pie. I dont believe anyone chose corn over pineapple. Then we were served lunch. I know it was my first meal in Thailand, and I should have taken pictures, but it was just OK. Not sure what it was, but I know it had pork and rice and chicken and ???. Who am I kidding? I have no idea what I was eating, and it was mediocre.

Orientation ended with me picking out classes. For all who are interested: you can see my website on my official webpage at http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jmgowen/ and click on any of my classes (you can see a full description there). For those of you who care a bit less, Ill list them below.
Principles of Macroeconomics, Thai Rural Development (economics based), Beginning Thai Language, and Thai Cuisine.
Yes, thats right. I am only taking four... that's 12 credit hours=the bare minimum. Thailand is about finding out who I am, understanding the culture, and not taking classes!


After the orientation, we took a tour of the university (can you read Thammasat University in the picture?) Yes, the scribble scrabble on top is Thai. No, I do not know how to read it. Yes, most signs in Thailand (near touristy areas) have an English translation underneath. THANK GOODNESS! The campus is not very big, and the buildings are very close (just enough for a car to fit between most of them). After all, the campus is situated in the city of Bangkok, right in the heart of it all!


I put up this picture to show the Thai garden. There are a lot of these tiny little oasis (wikipedia said that the plural of oasis is oasis, so Im sticking with it) all over the campus of Thammasat (and Bangkok for that matter). Notice this one says 'Merry Christmas' When I arrived, there were Merry Christmas signs EVERYWHERE. I didnt expect such a Buddhist culture to celebrate such a Christian tradition. However, the more I am learning about Buddhism, the more I realize that it is simply a way of thinking, and not necessarily a religion. Id be interested to hear from anyone who knows more about Buddhism!

After the tour, I went back to the hotel. I slept and skyped, slept and read, slept slept slept... until the next morning for my first day of classes!

1 comment: