Saturday, January 2, 2010

I hopped off the plane at LAX...






...with a dream and my cardigan
welcome to the land of late connects, they wouldnt even let me check in
I jumped on the bus, here I am for the first time
look to my right and I see the terminal sign
this is all so crazy, everybody seems so lazy...

Started off the New Year's Day in Raleigh better than I could imagine with an amazing, selfless boy who Im crazy about. Then a day filled of driving (Raleigh to Winston to the QC) and kisses left me at an airport with a few tears and a curious look into the unknown. Upon arrival, Patricia informed me that my first flight had been cancelled. She put me on the next flight to LA, which ended up giving me some much needed more time with the family. I danced to pass away the time (Dad-btw I want that video!). Then came the goodbyes. Two hugs a piece. Lost a few more tears going through security. 



Gate B12, D8, D10 and I still didnt have a seat on the flight. They let me on the plane while they figured out the mess, and I got a complimentary cup of coffee from the fiery red haired Cynthia (my flight attendant). Decided that I wouldnt mind meeting the pilot, so I headed back to the cockpit. They let me take a look around and chatted with me for a minute. The pilot and Cynthia are afraid that I wont make my connection, especially since we are running late. I got upgraded to first class (seat 1D) and knew I would be the first one off the plane. Cynthia takes care of me for the 6 hour fight... first class is very different. I had at least an extra foot of seat space in my seat and a bathroom to share with 15 other people. Cynthia comforts me with her 'tell it like it is' attitude. A complimentary (and wonderful) chicken penne with a plastic cup of red wine. I read through the first part of Eat, Pray , Love and wrote a bit in my journal during the six hour flight. Was wished luck as I ran out of the aircraft.


Ran all the way to baggage claim, hopped on a bus that took me to the international terminal. Then Thai Airways was nowhere to be found. (by the way... that international terminal in LAX was where I saw the most concentrated number of Asians EVER... i know i know, Im going to be living in Asia). Asked someone where to find Thai Airways (its 9:10 by now... I didnt get off the plane until 8:55) and they sent me to an office. The Thai man told me that the flight was already closed, and I couldnt get on. whoa waterworks. OK Jennifer... pull yourself together! more waterworks... I generally think I am a pretty strong person- I can hold it together during stressful times, but there comes a breaking point every now and then. Today was one of those days. I could make it through saying goodbye to my family and my bestie, I could be on my own and take control of my actions, I could run all the way to baggage claim... but I couldnt hold it together after I missed my flight. everything hit me at once and I just lost it... that poor Thai man! He put me on the next flight to BKK, which happened to be the next night at the same time (9:30pm). I decide to walk all the way back to Terminal 1, taking deep breaths and trying to calm down. Wait in line 30 minutes to speak with an US Air rep, and they put me up in the Radisson West Side Hotel in LA. And a $25 meal stipend. Thats where I find myself now, on the sleep number bed of the the Radisson watching NCIS and eating honey bunches of oats. But I am here for a reason, and I intend to find out what that reason is today!

No comments:

Post a Comment